Friday, December 4, 2009

Annunciation

I think that Luke 1: 26-38 - may be my favorite passage in the Bible. I am preaching on this on Sunday - when the Angel Gabriel comes to Mary and tells her that she is going to give birth.

My home is full of angels as well as depictions of Mary and Jesus. I believe that our story is one of giving birth - new life. It is an ongoing narrative as we become changed by God. It is also rich as we enter into the pain, lack of control, mystery and wonder of "giving birth" that comes when we allow it.

this is what I wrote about it this morning:

It is all here

An ancient story of an angel
who unsettles
a life

An invitation to birth
the one who comes
through spirit

A companion who shares
the grace and the burden
of holy favor

The word that proclaims
the impossible is now
possible

The Handmaid
who receives
and bears
and serves
The one for whom the world is waiting.


May we find ourselves in this story.

1 comment:

Eventuallysusan said...

I think of Amanda and of all of us and that at the messiest times of our lives when we call it a disaster or chaos it really is usually a birth -- another messy, strenuous, frightening, painful process that brings new life.