Monday, December 7, 2009

Precious

I saw the movie "Precious" last night and woke up this morning thinking about it. That is always the sign of a great movie.

What I find myself thinking about is:
1. The unfairness of life. Some people are born into situations that are so awful that it is almost unimaginable. I live in a priveleged world where most babies are wanted and cared for. And while I know we all have "issues" from our childhood, most of us have places where we hsve someone who cares for us. If it is not a mother, it is a father, or a grandparent. Precious was abused by her father, hated by her mother and ignored by her grandmother. It is sad, sad, sad and beyond my life experience to have such a childhood.

2. The resiliency of human life - at least some people. There are times when you hear about how hard life is for people and yet....they persevere and find their own way and are able to transcend terrible beginnings.

3. The power of love - in Precious life she found a caring teacher and a classroom of her peers who helped her. They helped her see her own intelligence and supported her as she made decisions in her life.

this movies had more than that in it - but those three things are what I find myself thinking about this morning.

It is so easy to live our lives and think everyone is like us and is having essentially the same experience as we are. Movie (and books) help us to get out of our narrow lives and see another life and see the forces that move it to growth.

I really recommend it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with everything you wrote. The movie had a huge impact on me and reminded me of why I like my job: I encounter similar stories of suffering and also get to witness people persevere and start their lives anew. I am constantly reminded of our ability to be resilient.

Me said...

I see that kind of stuff at work. Not that extreme, but kids who aren't bathed, didn't get their hair brushed, didn't get their homework done b/c it was too hard. Where are the parents?

Poor kids.