Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Reflections

We had what was for me a very big Thanksgiving.
The whole family came together - with the exception of my nephew Sean who is in Japan.
They started coming on Wednesday afternoon as my brother Wayne and wife Gail came from New Hampshire and brother Geoff and daughter Gillian came from New York. It was our anniversary and they took us out to eat at J. Liu's which was really a wonderful treat.
Brett met us there and took Gillian out and they ended up at Brett and Kacey's home for games and beverage. Audrey had arrived there.
The next day - Thanksgiving - everyone else came - from New York - Hannah, Mike, Elyssa, Alex and Evan and from Chicago - Tom, Samantha and Sarah. We had a great Thanksgiving meal with more people (33 in all!) and the next few days - more meals, lots of conversation, games, movies, football. It was Thanksgiving!

This was our first Thanksgiving without my sister Ellen and it was - bittersweet. Wednesday night we watched the home movie - taken 50 + years ago - of us as children. We even saw when Ellen came home from the hospital. Gail remarked that the last that arrived was the first to leave. And I never saw that so clearly.

Friday morning we did a time of remembrance of Ellen. We were in the sanctuary of the church and showed pictures through the years and shared our memories. Sean had sent a wonderful letter which Audrey read and then we watched a slide show with "Over the Rainbow" playing in the background. It was sharing our grief and I hope for others it was helpful. It was for me. Afterward I wondered if that is not what everyone needs about 6 months after a loved one has died - a time to come together with friends and family and remember. It is easy to feel like you are the only one who is grieving.

But the weekend was not all sadness. I was pleased that the cousins - 7 girls (Gillian and Sean missing) and companions were able to go out to eat together on Friday night. This summer at my Aunt and Uncle's funerals I learned about that cousin bond - you don't see each other much, but you are so connected through early memories and your parents relationship with each other.

I was glad to see the next generation down - Alyse, Reagan, Addie, Jacksn and Evan playing together. We are all the descendents of Marge and Wayne - they would be so pleased!

And most of all I was glad to be in the company of my brothers. This was our 5th time together this year - because of my cruise and the family funerals - but as I get older I value them more and more. But, as always, I miss Ellen.

I am blessed by my husband. We fed several crowds all weekend with no complaints and lots of new dishes to share (how about dried mango?)

All in all, much to be thankful for!

3 comments:

Me said...

It was a great time!!!

Unknown said...

We had SO MUCH FUN!! I wish we could get together more often. I especially loved "cousins night out" as well as Chuck's cooking and the hospitality from both of you. Jax is Evan's new best buddy. Alex likes that everyone was so laid back and mellow. We can't wait to see you again.

tinylittlegirl said...

sweet family togetherness~

And Happy New Year!