Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pentecost Preparations

I am starting to work - work, not just think - about my sermon for this Sunday. It is Pentecost which is the time that we celebrate God's gift of the Holy spirit.
It is the 3rd big holiday of the church year - and the one that nobody knows about except Christians.

Over the years, I have more and more identified myself as a "Holy Spirit" person.
Right now I think my sermon is going to be about the way that the spirit re - creates us and creates new communities and empowers us. I found this quote from a Blog by Nanett Sawyer

"Though humans crucify, God resurrects. Though humans divide and dominate, God communicates. God has the last word, and the word is wild. It changes everything. It rebuilds broken community. It breaks boundaries and enlarges the house. It makes possible understanding where before there was not understanding."

That is what the spirit does. It is hard in the midst of day by day drudgery to recognize how the spirit is working. That's the problem with preaching - to see it, name it and proclaim it.

But I am working on it.

This is a beginning maybe.

No comments: