Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

As I write this I am eating popcorn and watching the finale of the celebrity apprentice.
Mother's Day is pretty much over. And that is a good thing.

I really don't like mother's day very much. It seems to be it is a tricky day.
Some mothers are always going to be unhappy on mothers day. They are not satisfied with whatever the children do or don't do. And sometimes they seem crabby with their husbands who are not going with the program of sort of making them "Queen for a Day." And I think when I hear them complaining I always thing - at least YOU don't have to work on mother's day - which I do. (do I sound like a complainer or just like I am telling the truth here?)

Then there are those whose mothers have passed away. And it can be sad to remember.
And then there are those whose mothers have been not very nurturing and it is especially irritating to go to church and hear people extoll the wonders of mothers
And then there are those who are not mothers and wish to be, or those who have lost children.
It is tricky - especially with what to do in church. Tricky.
And I say, let's skip it.

Having said that - I had a pretty good mothers day. My husband came through and made me "Queen for a Day" and fixed fried chicken, baked potato and Greek Salad. No complaints there.
And Kacey and Marnie bought be a wonderful gift - table and 2 chairs for sitting outside.
And Lisa called and Audrey called.
And I got to sit on the front porch for a while with Dawn and Marnie and Chuck and watch Jason help Reagan try to ride her bike without training wheels. And she did for about 30 seconds.
It was okay. In fact, it was a very good mother's day. For me.
Everybody should be so lucky - or rather so blessed.

I don't know about mother's day. I really don't - but this year was a good one for me.

3 comments:

Me said...

yep yep. i like it all.

Gillian said...

ahhh the positivity

though I really wouldnt have pegged you as a mothers day hater

Tennelina (Caroline) said...

I'm with you on mother's day... mostly over-commercialized and overhyped, therefore a lot of mothers are never happy (except Kacey, of course) :)