Wednesday, April 22, 2009

morning mass

I went to mass at 8:15 this morning at St Matthias. This is for my class on prayer - we are supposed to go to three different worship services and experience prayer with others.

I really had a sense of God's presence in worship. What struck me first was entering into the sanctuary and experiencing the smell of the lilies. People were scattered throughout the room mostly on their knees and silently praying. After a couple of moments of feeling alien I found the kneeling bench and also did that. The silence and the smells and the company of other pray-ers gave me a sense of peace and God's presence.

The worship experience was very private and personal. I find it somewhat difficult worshipping in Catholic churches because there is no bulletin and usually no person to guide you. But I just went with the flow and followed along as best I could.

The priest had a voice that was very soothing and the message was brief and to the point. It was about John 3:16 which is a verse that certainly is familiar and powerful.

What struck me the most was how much I like praying on your knees and the silence. We do neither in our church and have a much bigger sense of community. But to start the day like this was really wonderful.

I think I will do it again - without having to for class!

No comments: