Monday, April 20, 2009

Birthday Weekend

I don't usually like a fuss. Really.
But turning 60 - and having the day be a Sunday seemed like a party was definitely in order.
And it was the most wonderful birthday of my 60 years.

Here is why:

  • Susan and Ken came from Arizona - their very first visit since I have living in Columbus and it was wonderful sharing our life with them. They spent time with Kacey and Alyse on Saturday afternoon at Innis park where Susan established herself as Alyse's gymnastics coach and encouraged her in cartwheels, somersauls and doing "the gull." (wish I had a picture of Alyse holding that pose) We had dinner Saturday night with Marnie and E. and they came to worship Sunday morning, Sunday evening and the PARTY.
  • My friend Mary Wood came from Toledo Sunday afternoon and was early enough to play a very fun game of SORRY with Susan and Kacey and me and then sing "My Tribute" at the gospel praise service and sing quite a few times at the PARTY>
  • Church Sunday morning was wonderful - with three baptisms, the bell choir, the signing choir, the Acts of Faith and every humn and song selected by me as my favorites. (it was birthday, after all!)
  • The Gospel praise service was wonderful and a group of teenage girls came and did 2 signing numbers (one was "Order my Steps) and presented me with this great big birthday card. And again - Mary Sang - amazingly, soulfully, Wow!
  • And then the PARTY - over 60 people with singing all kinds of songs. Highlights - me and Chuck singing "Love Me Tender", everybody doing the "electric slide" and of course the whole place going on with YMCA led by Deric, our pianist from the gospel praise service.
  • And then the best part of every part - coming home and going over the whole day with Susan and sharing a glass of wine.
60 years - and the best birthday. Pretty cool. Kacey and Marnie were the ones who put together the party - what a great gift to me!

3 comments:

Me said...

It was a GREAT time!

Pattie said...

What a grat birthday! I'm so happy to hear your day was so special. What great family and friends you have!

Audrey Connor said...

you know.... i think you do like a fuss...

i wish i could have been there!