Monday, October 6, 2008

Slow Down

Last week I watched Oprah when she had on the woman who inadvertantly left her child in her car all day and the little girl, of course, died. She was an assistant principal, it was the first day of school, her husband usually dropped the little girl off at day care and she completely forgot that her daughter was in the car.

It was the saddest story to me. And unfortunately, completely understandable. We all get so busy and so distracted we can completely miss what is happening.

Right now Chuck is checking over our vans - he quickly drove out of the driveway and forgot that I was parked there and ran his new van into mine - just a little smudge I hope. But it is the same thing. Slow down. Live in the moment.

We all do it. I do it. I get busy, too busy. And don't see what is right in front of me,
Behind me, all around me.

In my class in wellstreams we had a chart describing the movement from compulsion to contemplation - here are some of the examples


Compulsive Living Contemplative Living

control and rigidity Surrender and sponteneity
self absorbed Self aware
Srong defenses Necessary defenses/vulnerable
Dealing with people Relating with people
Inordinate desires True Longing for God
False self Authentic self
Emphasis on pleaure Emphasis on true joy
Past and future oriented Living in the present
Holding on; possessive Letting go; freedom
childish childlike
partially living fully human and alive

We had to reflect on the areas in our lives where we tend to be more compulsive
what characteristics of compulsive living are most alive in us
what characteristics of contemplative living are most alive in us

In a world where we are rewarded for multi tasking, living the contemplative life has to be a choice. It will not come naturally.

But it is what we need. What I need.

1 comment:

ELYSSA said...

I love this post and the timing couldn't be better. Thank you for sharing.