Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Healing Ministry

I have good news. Good news for me!
Last week the power went off at church and at home on the 14th of September. The 15th was the deadline for submitting my sabbatical proposal to the Louisville Seminary. I wrote the sabbatical proposal two weeks before and was very very busy and figured that I would do the submission of it - via computer - on the 14th.

And of course, no power. The power came on at 10 pm. So, I ran downstairs and submitted everything I could - but I got the proposal summary through - but could not figure out how to do the description of the sabbatical itself. And I figured....oh well. At least I knew what I wanted to do.

Well, I got an email today from the seminary saying that the power had gone out there (!!!) and that they were reviewing proposals. I wrote back and explained about my problem and they said - go ahead and re submit!!! Great! It is highly unlikely that I would get the $10,000 - but wow it would be great!

I wrote my letter for the newsletter today and wrote about the healing ministries at our church. Last week we heard that Pat H. has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer (stage one, thank God) and we as a congregation prayed over a prayer blanket for her in worship. And I drove it to her home on Sunday. It is such a gift to be able to do that for people ....a tangible representation of our love and God's love. That is one of our ministries. It meant alot to me when I could have the church pray for Ellen's prayer blanket and I know for many people it has been wonderful. I am so glad we do it.

We also do healing worship services monthly that include intercessory prayers, laying on of hands and anointing. Again - very personal and tangible.
Finally, we do reiki. This month I wrote about it - our "healing hands ministry." I have done four reiki treatments in the last week - one for Lindsay who was getting married and need to de-stress, one for Nancy, who is having leg problems, one for Carrier and her mother who are grieving the loss of Carrie's dad. And for all of them, it just gives peace. And for some, I would not be surprised if there was real healing. I never understand, but I am blessed that I am part of doing it.

The Sabbatical is for me to go around the country and learn more about healing ministries in other churches and the way they do them. (July, August 2010) I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope I get to do it!!!

3 comments:

Gillian said...

Gotta love when power goes out everywhere! I hope you get to do your sabbatical...

Although that may interupt family vacation...which would be problematic

ELYSSA said...

Good luck! I am glad you are able to provide healing to so many. I need a reiki treatment right about now!

Me said...

YAY! Good luck!