Monday, September 22, 2008

2 weddings and 2 funerals

In the last ten days.

This is what makes my life always interesting. The two funerals were a study in contracts. One was for a saint of the church who had five children and countless friends and admirers. She died at 86 after a long illness. The church was full and while there were tears and more tears - there was a sense of joy. We were happy to have known her and the stories were just wonderful. I loved it all even though it felt like a great responsibility to do honor to her.

The second funeral was actually a committal service. I was contacted by the funeral home to do it and I said yes. The woman was about the same age and had passed away in a nursing home facility. There were exactly 6 people in attendance at the cemetary. It was the morning after the storm - and there were trees and branches strewn around the cemetary. Very different.

The two weddings were both wonderful in their own way. And different. I attended one and officiated at the other. The first one was at the church and the theme was the OSU Bucks. So the groom wore grey and the bride wore a beautiful white dress with a little scarlet at the bodice and in the train. I loved it. The wedding was very traditional and the reception was at the church. The food was prepared by friends of the mother and served by the women of the church. There was a wonderful cake that was a recreation of the OSU Stadium with a replica of the bride and groom in the middle. It was great. Lots of fun. I know that after the reception there was going to be an after party that was watching the game at a bar. (they lost)

The other wedding was Brett's sister's and I officiated. It was less traditional and more casual and yet elegant. It was in their back yard and every detail was attended to by them. The service itself had the bride and groom saying their vows in front of their pond. Beautiful. The reception was in a big tent in the yard with lots of dancing and drinking and stories. A picture perfect evening.

So, as I write this, I can only say that I feel blessed to be with people in the saddest and happiest times of their lives. I literally get a front row seat to so many experiences and I cherish it all.
I love the fact that brides and grooms these days have to much freedom to do their weddings in ways that suit who they are and that reflect their interests. I pray that both of these marriages thrive.

And funerals can be the most meaningful events in my life. It always makes me think about my legacy and what is really important in life.

No comments: