Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving

It is amazing to have three daughters who all blog. Audrey wrote in her blog about some of the memorable thanksgivings that we have had as a family. (www.audreysthoughts.blogspot.com)
Kacey wrote about this year and put pictures in. It was wonderful.
If you want to look at it - www.followthepowells.blogspot.com.

From my perspective, I just feel blessed by it all. I have made the joke (or observation) that I am no longer the queen of the family - but I have become the "Queen Mother,." The next generation is making the decisions and I just go where they tell me. It is very freeing especially since my daughters are creative and responsible.

So this year we went to three cabins in the woods. Audrey and Kacey and Chuck's son Brian and his wife and Dawn and Jason. We enjoyed the meal and it was delicious and low stress with eathing off paper plates and everyone bringing some aspect of the meal together.

We ate in shifts which spread the meal over about four hours and gave us time for a nice walk in between turkey and dessert.

The best part of Thanksgiving was everything else.
I got to look out the window and watch Brettt and Jason in the rowboat with Jackson and Alyse in the morning.
I got to watch them fishing.
I got to sit at night around a beautiful campfire and see Huong eat her first S-more and show us how they coook potatoes in the fire in VietNam.
I got to sing and play guitar with Caroline and Audrey around the fire and there is a FULL MOON in the sky.
I got to play games with my grandkids.
I got to be with one of my favorite Grandma's - Karen who loves Jax and Alyse like I do!!
I got to see Brett's grandparents and the obvious love and affection they have after 50 plus years of marriage.
I got to leave everyone and go read in my own cabin and watch Gray's Anatomy when I needed some alone time.
I got to know that my kids and friends were in the hot tubs and having fun being together.

As I look back over Thanksgivings in my past - especially as a young adult, I remember tension about the meal and about being together. The greatest gift that I experience these days is a sense of peace and love and joy.
Talk about thanksgiving!!!

2 comments:

Me said...

it was a great time. love the recap!

Marnie said...

Wish we were there - in a roundabout way! My blog is...
www.lovinourlife.blogspot.com