Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Refreshment

One of the blessings of my life right now is that I am leading a Bible study at First Congregational Church.  The church had not had a Bible study for a couple of years since the pandemic and they reached out to the retired pastors in the congregation (there are many!) asking who might be interested in leading one and I volunteered with Larry Miller, a retired Presbyterian Minister.

It was decided that we would study the book of Acts and I am in the midst of preparing for Sunday.  The opening question from the study guide is: where do you find refreshment?  I think it is appropriate to consider during this time of waiting.

Refreshment for me comes so often from nature.  I am blessed to be living in a house in the woods by the water.  It is a gift to look at the window and see the trees in all of their splendor and wonder.  The water is different every single morning - sometimes like a mirror and other times full of ripples and patterns. Something happens to me soul when I just look - gaze - drink it all in.  It reminds me of the patterns of life and death, and the constant changes that are part of life.  It is beautiful and mysterious and comforting all at once.  

My hope and prayer is that I will also get to the beach this summer.  The ocean draws me with the constant waves, the ancient sand, the magnificent birds and the changing sky.  Just thinking about it calms my spirit.  God is there in the creation and I am part of the wonder of the universe. 

As I begin this day I have another act of refreshment - awareness of breath.  I pause and breathe in the love that God has for me and breathe out my anxiety and fear.  God is here and I am here to be with God.

May I remember that today.  May I be refreshed.

No comments: