Saturday, December 3, 2022

Prepare

Finally!  The text for today is a very familiar advent text from Isaiah 40.  Traditional Advent message - prepare!

A voice cries out:
“In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord;
    make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
Every valley shall be lifted up,
    and every mountain and hill be made low;
the uneven ground shall become level,
    and the rough places a plain.
Then the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
    and all flesh shall see it together,
    for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.”



When I read these words I remember my parents singing the words in "The Messiah" at First Presbyterian Church in West Chester Pennsylvania.  I can sing along to the Godspell song as well.  I have preached on this text for years and years and planned activities for people to prepare - like retreats and Bible studies and workshops.  

What I know is that the preparation is both external and internal.  There really is something about preparing the space with Christmas decorations to realize that we are in a new season.  As a child it is waiting for this big and almost magical day when there will be surprises of new toys to play with and special foods.  I am remembering my mother's Christmas cookies as I write this.

But the internal is somehow making space for something new that God wants to do.  That is why the words about valleys lifted up and mountains and hill made low speak to me.  This is not just a celebration but a promise of "the glory of the Lord" shall be revealed.  We use and like the image of Jesus being born again into our heart.  I like it because it speaks of something dynamic happening that brings change.  Again.

At my age I have seen a lot of Christmas and what I observe in people (that is, us) is the danger of allowing this to be just another Christmas as we do what seems to be the "same old, same old."  That is why I am intentionally writing this blog during this season so I can live into the promise of Advent.  That we are waiting for SOMETHING new.  Even in your 70's there can be something new.

I trust that and read these very comforting words again this morning and wait and hopefully prepare.

Here is an Advent Poem by Mary Oliver




Dear Lord, I have swept and I have washed but
still nothing is as shining as it should be
for you. Under the sink, for example, is an
uproar of mice – it is the season of their
many children. What shall I do? And under the eaves
and through the walls the squirrels
have gnawed their ragged entrances – but it the season
when they need shelter, so what shall I do? And
the raccoon limps into the kitchen and opens the cupboard
while the dog snores, the cat holds the pillow;
what shall I do? Beautiful is the new snow falling
in the yard and the fox who is staring boldly
up the path, to the door. And I still believe you will
come, Lord; you will, when I speak to the fox,
the sparrow, the lost dog, the shivering sea-goose, know
that I am really speaking to you whenever I say,
as I do all morning and afternoon: Come in, Come in.

Mary Oliver in THIRST

























No comments: