Monday, March 13, 2017

The Centerpiece

of everything we believe - Jesus Christ.

One of the readings for today is Hebrews 3:1-6 which compares Moses to Jesus and makes this statement - from the Message

.

So, my dear Christian friends, companions in following this call to the heights, take a good hard look at Jesus.  He’s the centerpiece of everything we believe, faithful in everything God gave him to do.

So, I start today taking a good hard look at Jesus.  Saturday I saw the movie, The Shack and there was a scene where the protagonist, Mac, on meeting God, spirit and Jesus said that he felt most comfortable with Jesus and Jesus'  reply was - "that's because I am human."


Certainly for me, that is the appeal of  Jesus.  He  experienced everything good and bad about life on earth.  And when I have those moments of feeling alone - in either feeling joy or pain - there is an awareness that Jesus companions me.  I used to really experience that in times of struggle when I felt that no one knew what I was going through.  These days as I live into the blessings of my retired life I find myself also aware of his loving presence as we celebrate together the goodness of life.  

I had a weekend of so much fun.  Chuck and I went to Cincinnati to see the circus one last time and Sunday afternoon I went with him, Jackson, Kacey and Marnie to see STOMP.  Both of these productions were high energy and full of creativity and joy.  Plus we saw The Shack which I continue to ponder.  The life of Jesus as depicted in the gospels show a man who did love life and entered into it fully.  It is easy - especially during Lent - to emphasize his suffering but that is not all of who he was.  He knew how to celebrate, to have fun and to love and engage this world. 

So my mantra for today is JESUS IS MY CENTERPIECE and always my desire is to PAY ATTENTION  and ENJOY  every moment and breath of this life I have been given.

 Here is a morning prayer by John O Donohue





A Morning Offering
I bless the night that nourished my heart
To set the ghosts of longing free
Into the flow and figure of dream
That went to harvest from the dark
Bread for the hunger no one sees.
All that is eternal in me
Welcome the wonder of this day,
The field of brightness it creates
Offering time for each thing
To arise and illuminate.
I place on the altar of dawn:
The quiet loyalty of breath,
The tent of thought where I shelter,
Wave of desire I am shore to
And all beauty drawn to the eye.
May my mind come alive today
To the invisible geography
That invites me to new frontiers,
To break the dead shell of yesterdays,
To risk being disturbed and changed.
May I have the courage today
To live the life that I would love,
To postpone my dream no longer
But do at last what I came here for
And waste my heart on fear no more.
~ John O’Donohue ~

No comments: