Saturday, March 26, 2016

Holy Saturday



This is the day after Good Friday and the events of the crucifixion and  the day before our celebration of Easter.  Sometimes it is called Holy Saturday and sometimes it is Black Saturday.

When I pastoring a church it was the day to decorate for Easter and finish up perhaps that Easter sermon.  It was easy to blow past the darkness of this day.  Like all of our facebook posts: “It’s Friday, but Sunday’s coming.”

Today however I sit in what Holy Saturday really is.  Jesus for his believers was dead physically and they are left behind and bereft.  There is nothing more to do, is there?  The movement is over and he is gone.

I think of the time after the death of a loved one and before the funeral.  There is a lot of planning and preparing and at the same time there is this awful darkness.  What is next?  How do I go on?  What will it be like without them?  I know those feelings.

And yet, what looked like the end was not.  And something was happening in the tomb.  When I was a Presbyterian we spoke aloud the “Apostles Creed” which said – “He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried;  he descended to hell.  I repeated them and did not know what that meant and I still don’t.  Is that what is happening on Holy Saturday?  
     All I know is that something happened in that tomb that changed death to life. 
      Something happened that reveals the power of God and the love of God. 
       Something happened that day that brings hope.

We celebrate the good news tomorrow and today live in the reality of the times of suffering, pain and wondering where God is and what God is doing when all appears lost. 

And so today I am not moving so fast to Sunday or even preparing for it.  I am sitting in my reality of Holy Saturday and waiting for Sunday and trusting that in the middle of what looks like death, there will be life.  Trusting in God’s steadfast love.

Here is one of the readings for today. 
Psalm 31:1-4, 15-16

In you, O Lord, I seek refuge;
do not let me ever be put to shame;
in your righteousness deliver me.

Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily.
Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me.

You are indeed my rock and my fortress;
for your name's sake lead me and guide me,
take me out of the net that is hidden for me,
for you are my refuge.

My times are in your hand;
deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors.

Let your face shine upon your servant;
save me in your steadfast love.

No comments: