Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Hummingbird Life

May the answer for me at this time.

A couple of weeks ago I caught a little bit of Elizabeth Gilbert (author of Eat Pray Love) on Super Soul Sunday with Oprah.  And it has stuck with me.

She talked about the difference between hummingbirds and jackhammers.  The jackhammer digs down deep into the passion of the person.  In many ways, that was my life as pastor of the church.  I thought about the church - people, activities, growth, purpose ALL the time.  More than anyone knew - more than I knew - it truly consumed me - not only my time, but my mind.

In retirement, I wondered if there was a new passion or new focus for my energy and attention.  In her talk she said that some people are "hummingbirds" who flit from flower to flower instead of just one passion.  That has spoken to me and as I observe my attention and activity, it is how I am living in this season.

I am getting ready to drive to Lima Ohio this morning for a meeting where I join other ministers as their "Regional Elder."  Yesterday I met with someone for spiritual direction, chaired a meeting of the Wellstreams Advisory council, and met a family to plan a funeral.  Later today I will lead a book discussion and Sunday I will preach.  I am getting ready to join a Monday night group of women who are "Writing for a Change" and planning a trip to Virginia in March for a book festival. And as important, is time I get to spend hanging out with my grandkids. It is a life now of variety - different ways to love, to be present, to write and to have fun.  I guess you could call it a whole lot of different kinds of flowers to pollinate!



Elizabeth Gilbert writes:  : “For me, a lifetime devoted to creativity is nothing but a scavenger hunt — where each successive clue is another tiny little hit of curiosity. Pick each one up, unfold it, see where it leads you next.."

 I  dash this off in gratitude for the blessings of the variety of ways I get to say YES to invitations to love and serve.  And savor where God is showing me new life.

No comments: