Saturday, January 2, 2016

Searching for Wisdom

I continue to receive the daily lectionary and today's scripture from Proverbs was so apt for me:

Proverbs 1:1-7

The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
For learning about wisdom and instruction,
for understanding words of insight,
for gaining instruction in wise dealing,
righteousness, justice, and equity;
to teach shrewdness to the simple,
knowledge and prudence to the young—
let the wise also hear and gain in learning,
and the discerning acquire skill,
to understand a proverb and a figure,
the words of the wise and their riddles.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction.
 

I begin this year with a fair amount of confusion and if there is one thing I know - I need some wisdom.  With Brian living with us, I need to learn more about mental illness for one thing.  But even more than that, there is the wisdom of knowing what is my role and how am I helpful and not hurting.
And that is not just with Brian - but with really everyone in my life.  What is my role here?  How can I help and not hurt?

In his book Whistling in the Dark, Frederick Buechner writes: "Wisdom is a matter not only of the mind but of the intuition and heart,...it is born out of suffering as a woman bears a child.  it shows a way through the darkness the way a woman stands at the window holding a lamp."  In my daily retreat interestingly enough  the scripture I spent time with was from Isaiah 9:1-6 which encompassed people who are walking in darkness that see a great light and the description of the child born to us: wonderful counselor.  

And so - as usual - as I sit in silence and wonder, again I realize that something does happen through prayer and time with God's word.  Maybe the beginning of knowledge, a glimpse of the path and a sense of the next step.  I only know that as I begin this year - 2016 - surely a year of growth for me - I need to center on the Wonderful Counselor who listens and in his presence I can find a little peace.

Here is a Blessing for Today from Maxine Shonk:

May you be blessed with the WISDOM of God who fills your heart with vision
so that you may see all things with the eyes of God.
May you have the WISDOM and knowledge to discern God's desire.
May you be drawn to a deeper awareness of God's activity in your life.
May you give voice to the WISDOM as you wnter into communion with all God's people.
May the God of WISDOM bless you..
Amen
 

 

No comments: