Thursday, August 20, 2015

Attunement

I went to Hocking Hills Tuesday to meet with some friends who were learning reiki and to receive an Attunement from Julia who is a reiki master.

I really like that word - attunement.  The dictionary definition is: being or being in harmony, a feeling of being "at one" with another being.  And that is what has happened to me in many ways.

One step into attunement is getting away and being in nature.  And Hocking Hills is certainly a place to feel closer to God.  And then there is reiki.  We laid hands on one another and instead of being inside, we were on the front porch of a cabin.  And so the sights and sounds of creation surrounded us and helped us to feel connected.
And amazingly there was a woman from one of the two cabins nearby that walked past us and joined us in our healing work.  She herself did healing touch and reiki and felt led to be part of our afternoon of teaching, giving and receiving reiki.  The next day she came back to thank us and said she felt blessed to walk into "a magical place where people spoke her language."

And maybe part of attunement is just getting back and hearing the soul and spirit sounds of God by having time to be away, in silence, with spirit filled people and open to God.

This morning I went with Nikki and Brian to a special place here in Columbus - Inniswood Metro park and experienced that harmony and oneness in the beauty of nature.  I watched the retired men and women with their yellow "volunteer" shirts on who were digging and weeding and working in the garden and thought they are saints that enable us to find attunement with the Holy Creator

And so far and way and close to home, there is such blessing when I take the time to be with God.
Finally, as I sat with Brian looking at this Rose Garden I looked at Facebook and Audrey posted this wonderful poem by Wendell Berry. 
The Peace of Wild Things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
 
It is well, it is well with my soul.  Amen


No comments: