Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July

Today is the 4th of July and I am at Chautauqua. If I were at home right now I would be getting ready to march in the Northland 4 th of July parade And then we are hmaving a picnic on the lawn At the church.

But I am here and have started the day as I always do here....taking a walk around the grounds and buying a newspaper. Then breakfast at the Baptist house with my friend Mary Wood,doing the sudoko, then a shower and worship.

The preacher this week is Bishop Gene Robinson, from the Episcopalian church and so far so good. His sermon was called "God Bless America -Be Careful What You Ask For" and his text was the Beatitudes.
The reminder is that God blesses the humble, the merciful, the peacemakers. Gives you something to think about. his message was that we are to practice "Prophetic Patriotism" and he said the speaking truth to power is the cross that we bear as Christians.
His three examples of what we do whe we practice "Prophetic Patriotism"
1. Practice Ambivalence ..."maturity is measured by the ability to hold 2 truths intentionally.
Ex we can respect the president and still hold him accountable
We can support the troops and still question the war
2. Practice Hospitality. ...embrace those who are different and don't just tolerate.He mentioned democrats, republicans, gays and lesbians, illegal immigrants, welfare queens
3. Practice Eucharist as a pattern of life---gathering in shalom, knowing our need of God, confessing our sin, passing the peace, and celebrating God's goodness anyway.

I don't know whether I have done it justice, but it was a good sermon for the 4th of July

This afternoon there is a band concert at the plaza and tonight there is a Pops concert in the amphitheater and another concert and fireworks at 10 PM. -A great day

Plus I get to go to a lecture by James Carroll this afternoon which I may write about
Busy, busy, busy,
Stretching my mind and heart and soul

No comments: