Thursday, April 8, 2010

Who Shall I Send?

I just come home from Bible study and we spent some time with Isaiah 6: 1-8 which ends with this

8Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I; send me!”


and our conversation was good - about and thought provoking.

Who will go for me - and it made me realize how hard it is to go to some of the places that God wants us to go - and these are some of the places where we mention:

to a relative who is alcoholic

to a young woman with cancer

to a young man who is recovering painfully from back surgery

to a man lying alone in a nursing home

to a different city on a snowy day.

One of the questions I asked is this: are there some things that God wants us to do that no one else can do? That won't happen if we don't respond to them?

There was also contained in the other scripture the understanding that the Holy spirit will empower us when we go where God is sending us.

I know from experience that is true - but I also know that when I go to these places of pain and risk - I often don't want to go and feel that I have nothing to offer.
Usually God shows up in a way that I actually know it. Or afterward, I trust it.

And after tonight - I guess that is Biblical. But it is still hard.

No comments: