Monday, June 29, 2009

The Mask

I had a pretty compelling dream on the mission trip about accidentally killing some of my parishioners. (I went into such a panic in the dream, that i went on the Rush Limbaugh show to explain it!!! Hmmmmm) And then found out that Audrey had a similar dream about killing parishioners.
After some conversations with others, I came to the conclusion that this may be about the fact that we - like everyone,of course - wear a mask or a role that makes us comfortable and probably makes others more comfortable. And when we take it off, we are afraid others may be hurt and reject us. So, I ended up writing this poem or prayer or something.

I want you to love me with my mask intact
and you do
But you invite me to venture out beyond it
And like a game of peek a boo I flash the world
Fearing rejection and ridicule

I want you to love me with my mask intact
and you do
But you create an unease within me for the artifice, the condescension, the superficiality of others
and so I see and avoid and condemn the affected

I want you to love me with my mask intact
and you do
but you help me to realize how heavy it is becoming
I sweat under the effort of keeping it in place
as I perform and please and keep smiling

I want you to love me iwth my mask intact
and you do
but compassionately and continually you whisper
that I can let go
and discover the treasure that is found deep within

2 comments:

Gillian said...

i am slightly afraid for the parishioners of Conner women...

Eventuallysusan said...

You are a poet.