Friday, June 12, 2009

Grief

A week ago I was driving home from Chicago after the memorial service for my sister Ellen and the lunch at the restaurant.
And now we just go on with our lives. And grieve.

It has been a week that has felt very strange to me.
I have received lots of cards and emails from friends which really meant a lot to more. More than I would have imagined.

I have done what I usually do - 3 worship services - Sunday morning, Sunday night and Tuesday morning, a class for Wellstreams, a board meeting and Bible study.
But it has felt different - I have felt different.

Grief means that I just am tired, and sad, and kind of cranky.
Everyone says to take it easy - and I have tried - but what do you do? I don't know.
Anyway, this is what has helped me:

Walking in the woods

Talking to my daughters

Reading junky novels and magazines

Bible study

Sitting on the front porch

Anyway, I thought I would write about it. I think of Tom and Sarah and Sam and Sean and wonder how they are doing. We all respond differently.

I am grateful for faith and the knowledge that God is good - all the time. God is here with me as I can't get away from my sad and cranky self.
It will get better.

2 comments:

Eventuallysusan said...

It's an odd thing grief and loss and working around in a room where the furniture has been drastically rearranged with some pieces completely missing.

Unknown said...

I can identify. I never felt so lost alone than after my mother died. It seemed that everyone else's life went on and I was struggling for a couple of years afterwards. In the end, I had to just go with the flow because for me there was no escape. So for some, I guess the only way out is through. You have my empathy and I really feel for Sean, Sarah, and Sam. It's hard.