Thursday, March 12, 2009

My soul is touched

I haven't written for a while and thought I would mention three experiences that have really been helpful.

We got to see Joan Baez in concert on Monday night (tickets from the generous Dawn and Jason!) Oh my! It was so wonderful for me. She started by saying that we were going to cover many decades and she did and we did. As she sang, she took me back through my own life as I remembered where I was and who I was when I heard some of the songs. She looked wonderful and Chuck had brought binoculars and her eyes are just so deep and full of soul.

I was especially touched by her singing diamonds and rust about an old affair (with Bob Dylan)and "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" a ca pella. Sung by a woman in her 60's it just resonated with meaning for me as I think about aging and life and yes, death. We also all sang "Imagine" as part of the encore which again was wonderful. There were times I sat in the darkness and felt the tears just going down my face. She touched my soul.

Yesterday at Wellstreams - where I am taking courses for Spiritual Direction - my prayer partner Debbie met me early so she could pray for me. She knows that I am going to see Ellen next week and she is just a wonderful gift to me. I so rarely am (or allow myself to be?) prayed over without praying for the other person. And it was just what I needed. We spent the evening learning about prayer with scripture and at the end of our time together I felt lighter than when I came in.

Today again, I tried doing "Spirituality 101" for the after school program at my church. We talked about integrity and about how being honest helps our souls to be whole. And I had the kids (4 smart aleck girls and a boy) answer questions in their own lives about times they were dishonest. We had a good discussion although one girl said she didn't think she had a conscience since she lied all the time and didn't care. Hmmmm. Didn't quite know what to say. I talked about how our souls are ultimately hurt by our lies and we have to find the strength to tell the truth. Then I played a song called "You can relax now." And again thought - is this doing anything?
It was afterwards, that the boy came ito my office and said "When you played that song, it was like my soul was crying." And we sat and he talked about his school and family life with me.

And so, my soul is touched - by music and prayer and this peculiar life in the church.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have heard Joan Baez sing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' a cappella and it was amazing! I was in awe!

Me said...

wow--great post