Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Family

I am sitting in my sister Ellen's office writing this. She is sleeping in the next room.

I am visiting because I told her I wanted to watch TV with her and that is what we are doing. And I like it.

She is pretty weak - and spends most of her time in her bed or in a chair beside the bed. Sarah, her oldest daughter has arranged her schedule so that she is able to be here with her Mom in the morning when Tom is working.

Tom then comes home and is able to take care of the dogs, house, bills, errands and Ellen.
Between him and Sarah they are able to take care of her.

As I am here I just marvel at what you do - we do - everyone does - as a family during times like this. We figure out what needs to be done and we do it. We care for people who we love and try to make the best of a really difficult situation.

Ellen is a very strong person - and if I didn't know it before, I know it now. She knows that she wants to live as long as she can and she is willing to be in a lot of pain if necessary. She wants to be here for her children and her husband. An illness like this brings us back to the basics of what is really important and what you can count on.
And hopefully we will find that it will be family.

So, please keep Ellen in your prayers and her family which is of course, my family.
I feel blessed to be here today.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your post really spoke to me having been through all of this before and feeling grateful for every moment I had with my mom. Also I just came home from a solitary vacation, which I enjoyed but I felt homesick for Alex and Evan and I am glad to be back with them.

Me said...

she is one tough broad. :)

Pattie said...

The Gersen's are so blessed to have one another. I love reading about your family and how you are always there for each other. My prayers continue for Ellen.