Monday, February 9, 2009

The Media comes to KRCC

Last night Fox News came into our church!
How strange it all was.

We have our gospel praise service at 5:00 PM. When I drove in there were 2 Fox TV trucks in the driveway. Unbeknownst to me there was a big accident in front of the church and they were there for that.

We had our service and at the end (after Charles preaches) I stand up and do sort of the conclusing remarks and invitation as we get into a circle and pray together. I saw some people in the corner and could not figure out who they were. We ended the service.

So, I came out into the narthex and there are 2 young guys with a TV camera. I asked them who they were and they were from Fox News. They were doing a story on people praying for the city budget that is going to be voted on today. And did I want to be interviewed? I thought about it and declined. I had not prayed about the city budget and the truth is - coming home from a cruise - I had not really thought about the city budget. I did not feel any desire to speak about this on camera. Even though yes - I do pray and Yes - I do care about the budget cuts.
However, if other people wanted to speak to them, that was their choice. Both Kerry and Charles did.

They told me that someone had given them permission to come into our service and they filmed us there. I found that to be intrusive but did not say anything because it was already done.
We will probably discuss this at our board meeting.

Last night I watched the footage on both Fox news at 10 and channel 6 at 11. It was okay, I guess. Charles and Kerry both spoke articulately. They did film part of our service, which I did not like. It almost implied that we were having a service praying for the city budget. But maybe somebody saw it and thought they might try out our church.

But mostly, I feel like these guys had a story that they made up and they were looking for a church that was open for business to hang the story on. I wonder how many "news stories" are like that.

1 comment:

WayneG said...

How many news stories are made up like the one you just witnessed: almost ALL of them... the media have a narrative and they try to get pictures (i.e. evidence) that supports that narrative and if YOUR "picture" doesn't fit the narrative? Oh well... they'll MAKE it fit... you were wise to lay low!