Tuesday, February 10, 2009

God our Mother

The first assignment for our class on prayer is to pray every day using a different name for God.
This morning I prayed to God our mother.

Which I don't usually do - I usually use the word "Lord" or "Loving God"

I am finding that it makes a big difference the names with which we address God. Often times I will say that "God is more" - more than you know, more than you can express, more than you can expect and so it does make sense to use different names to apprehend all that God may be.

Yesterday I started to read a book "A Problem from Hell" - America and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Power. Just reading the first 30 pages was disturbing as it described genocide through the ages and the way in which our country says we are against genocide in principle - but when confronted with it in reality - we call it something else and not our business.

I also continue to pray for and think about my sister Ellen and her family. It is hard to struggle with cancer and it is hard to be with our loved ones and not be able to do anything to help except to be there.

There is comfort in praying to God our MOTHER. Our compassionate and comforting mother. Our mother who is with us in the darkest times and weeping with us. Because I am a mother who deeply loves my children, I understand mother love that often cannot fix the problem, but can offer presence and unconditional love.

And so, this morning I pray to my mother God and pray for all who suffer that they might know that God, their mother is with them - loving, caring deeply, consoling.

There are so many things in life I do not understand, but I have the faith that in the midst of it, God is there.

1 comment: