Monday, July 7, 2008

Sunday Reflection

Yesterday was a good day.


I preached in the morning about the invitation of Jesus: Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, take my cross and learn from me.

And many people said - that they needed that sermon. Certainly I could preach it every week. The whole idea that God wants us to walk and work with Him and when we do the burdens of life are lifted. But it is so easy to go off on our own and give our egos free reign and then feel so stressed and burdened down by life.

I went out to lounch with Kacey and Marnie which was such a blessing. It has been a long time since we have done that - just the three of us wtihout husbands and kids. It was really relaxing. I love the fact that Olive Garden now offers a "taste" of winefor 25 cents. I think I now have everyone trained to say yes to that - and then I drink everybody else's wine. What a bargain!

Our gospel praise service was great. We had over 40 people and Charles Mom Teresa sang and we had a troupe of mimes perform that were just wonderful. I had never seen this form of worship and it was really inspiring. I feel so blessed that I am being exposed to lots of different kinds of worship.

Our 10:30 service is "blended" which means that we combine traditional, gospel and praise music. Which means that usually someone is unhappy with something. Whenever we do worship evaluations someone complains about wanting more older hymns and someone says more newer music and sometimes the organ is too loud and sometimes the organ is wonderful. But I believe that we are being called to be intergenerational and that is the only way to do it.
I tend to like all kinds of music and wish everyone else did.

The Gospel Praise service is much more lively and uptempo. Deric, who plays the heck out of the piano, takes songs and keeps changing keys and going higher and higher. My sense is that as we are singing, we are going higher and higher too. I love it.

Afterwards we had a potluck picnic which is always fun with this group. I am still getting to know people and to hear their stories. The spirit is so good and everyone is happy to be there.
We are really a church community in formation - very diverse and it is again a blessing to me to be making new friends at this point in my life.

Good Sunday!

No comments: