Monday, July 28, 2008

sunday mornings

This is my second time trying to write about Sunday mornings.

After church - our church service which focussed on love and acceptance and recognizing how God treasures us - I learned about the shootings in Knoxville.

It hit close to home because Audrey is in Knoxville and her best friend attends that church. The reason she was not there was because she was listening to Audrey preach about praising God.

That church was a scene of hate and death. And it is so disturbing. Too much has been written about the way religion can separate people from each other.

the church where the killings happened was Uniterian Universalist - a church which is open and affirming to all people and in the business of working for social justice.
As I type this I am watching TV as they are promoting a piece about a violent standoff in Columbus.

There are no words to express how helpless I feel.

No comments: