Thursday, June 5, 2008

Morning Pages

I went to a retreat April 12th with Julia Cameron who wrote (among other things) "The Artist's Way." The retreat was about finding our "true north" and it was really about creativity.

One of the strongest recommendations by Julia was that we do our morning pages. And I bought a journal at the retreat. Today I finished that Journal. And I have kept to the morning pages most every morning. For the most part I start the day in my prayer room and write at least 2 - but often 3 or 4 pages. And I have felt that this has been extremely helpful to me. The writing has been a way in which I have been able to get "it" out. And "it" is that stuff that I usually keep inside - whether it is resentments and anxiety or observations of grace and blessing.

As I look back on the last 6 weeks I have to say that it has had a fair amount of stress - especially with my sister Ellen's cancer coming on the scene. That is in addition to the concerns that are always just below the surface about the church - a sermon to write, church attendance and pastoral needs, and church funding. The morning pages have been literally a "godsend" this is what I have always needed and especially this is what I needed for the past few weeks.

I led an Elder's retreat last Saturday in Cincinnati and they gave me a $25 gift card from Barnes and Noble - so today I will buy the next journal. I told them about the morning pages and encountered the same reaction that I often find. I often encounter defensiveness and almost judgment from people. They are too busy to spend time in that way.

I know this does not work for everyone. But it has been a gift to me.

1 comment:

Me said...

That is how I feel about blogging. It's a way to get out what I am feeling/thinking and see it on paper. I have to be more edited because it's public, but that is good for me, too. I don't do the venting/complaining/destructive thinking I might do if I were writing to myself. And making it public gives it a 'purpose' for me. :)

Writing is definitely a godsend.