Thursday, June 12, 2008

I am Excited!

I have two things that I am excited about
1. Barak Obama is coming to Ohio - to Columbus to ........Karl Road! He is doing a talk on Social Security at the retirement community that is next door to the church tomorrow at noon.
His advance people - Samantha, Brendon and Ethan came to us and asked to use our fellowship hall after the event for the media to file their stories.
We are community minded so - of course. And then they asked if we had internet access (Wowway) and no we have dial up. Would it be okay if they brought in wireless and paid for it and we would have a month of it free. Yes!
So... at 8 am tomorrow I am meeting Brendon at the church with the Wowway person and Jason from our church to install that. And at 2:30 tomorrow I am going over to Oakleaf to shake Barak Obama's hand. They said he would also sign a book - so tonight I have to go buy one of his books. It's the least I can do. I am very, very excited.
And then the questions - what to wear and what to say.....I will let you know about that tomorrow!!!!!
I cannot overstate how excited I am about all of this - like a little kid. As a big follower of the political scene I am so curious just to see the secret service, the media, and of course the candidate himself. It should be really interestind. Would I be as excited if it were McCain or Hillary and the answer is YES - absolutely. They are all remarkable people and it is cool to get to see them in the flesh.

I remember in college shaking Eugene McCarthy's hand, and seeing George McGovern in person and worshiping at church with William Scranton. In Bowling Green we stood for hours to see Bill Clinton come by on his train campaign. I also remember going to downtown West Chester Pennsylvania when Richard Nixon ran for president. I must have been 11 years old!

So, Barak may be a president or maybe not....but there is something special about seeing the people who are running for office in the flesh.

2. I am excited about vacation which starts for us on Saturday. We have made our menu and have started filling boxes with games and food and bedding. It is going to be great. Kacey and Gillian have written in their blogs what they are looking forward to so I guess I will too:

a. Hanging out with my brother Geoff - and talking politics and the meaning of life, etc, etc

b. watching Jackson, Alyse and Reagan at the beach.

c. going out to lunch with my husband - I like the Sunset Grille

d. taking a walk on the beach - whatever time of day.

e. drinking pinot grigio and BL with Lime !!

f. Games of course - we have brought blokus, rummikub, quiddler and cards.

g. reading on the porch (hope we have a porch!!)

h. not thinking about church!

i. morning pages and prayers on the deck with a cup of coffee (hope we have a deck!)

j. conversations with everyone - especially just sitting on the beach and hanging out

k. riding the waves on a boogie board - it literally takes 40 years off of me mentally. I am a teenager in my mind!

l. watching everyone interact, having fun, making memories and just enjoying the blessing of being in that place that holds so many memories.

It is amazing to me that I can remember sitting on the beach and watching my grandmother staring at the ocean with her hands on her hips. And at the time I thought, "I wonder what she is thinking" She was in her 80's then.

Now as a grandmother who goes to the beach, one thing I have learned is that you grow into a greater appreciation of beauty as you get older. And just to be there, to stop and look at the wonder of the ocean takes your breath away.

I am excited!

No comments: