Friday, June 13, 2008

Meeting Barack Obama

Well, today has been an interesting day!
I started the day at church at 8:00 AM and met Jason here and waited for Wowway to come and put internet access into the building. We waited for over an hour - (wonderful conversation where I got to catch up on what is happening with him!) and finally they came. Three trucks and they hung out in the parking lot and finally we got the word. They could not do it. We are an island with dial up internet. Both the YMCA and Oakleaf Retirement Community are able to have wireless - but we can't.

So, the media did not come here today. A disappointment.

It was okay because i knew I was going to get to meet the candidate. And so at the appointed time I walked over to Oakleaf where he had arrived 2 hours before for my handshake. I brought the book "The Audacity of HOpe" that Dawn brought over. I was turned away at the door by the secret service guy. I explained I was the minister next door, but no dice. So I went back to church and wrote an email titled "disappointment."

Five minutes later I got a phone call from Oakleaf saying "Come on Over" and when I did I was greeted like somebody important!

I talked to the same secret security guy for a while and then Ethan came out and told me that I was to wait about 20 minutes and then go back into the kitchen area to meet the Senator. I talked to some of the residents I knew. One of them said, "I don't know why they brought him here - most of us don't like him." And she also said, "I am afraid of Muslims." And I said - "He is a Christian" and she kind of said - "Well, he is now....." Whatever that means!!!

As I was waiting there was an 80 year old man playing "5 foot 2 eyes of blue" and other songs of the day. One couple was dancing in the corner. John and Annie Glenn were there and people were having their pictures taken with them. I was kind of nutty.

Finally they called me back. And then I waited with a bunch of men and one woman in suits. They were really friendly and accomodating to me. Treated me like I was somebody important.
I talked a bit to Ethan and remarked on the fact that everyone was pretty young who was working for Obama in the room. I asked if he thought John McCain's team was as young. And he said no. He told me that Obama's chief speechwriter is 27 and most of the advance team is in their 20's and 30's. But what struck me was how friendly they were and how well organized.

Then Barak Obama came through the door. He walked right up to me - looking straight at me.
I shook his hand and told him that I represented a lot of clergy who support him and are praying for him. He said, "That's good. I need prayer" or something like that. He signed the book for Dawn and then shook my hand again. He then went over to his people and learned of the death of Tim Russert. As he left, he touched my shoulder and said I should pray for his family.

THEN there was Michelle. I didn't know she was there. And she is beautiful in person! I shook her hand and told her that I was praying for her and that she was an inspiration to me. It was so cool.

I didn't care about the picture - just the contact. And again, if what I see of this campaign reflects him, it means that he is disciplined, organized, and very connected to people.

It was memorable!

2 comments:

Me said...

That is so amazing!!

ELYSSA said...

I am going to tell everyone I know that my aunt met the future President!