Monday, May 5, 2008

camp christian

Saturday I went to the Camp Christian Reunion. I drove through the rain in Columbus and when I got there the sun was shining and it was - as usual - a most beautiful place.

I went for many reasons. First, Kacey and Marnie were there with Alyse and Reagan and I wanted to be there with them. I also knew that the Garshaws who we knew from our years in Zanesville would be there. Holly and Jenny, two friends of Kacey's were there. It was so nice to watch the young women together and remember 20 years ago (20 years!) when they were friends together in Zanesville and went to camps together. I remembered going to Jennie's wedding and Holly's wedding. And then the realization that these girls lives intersected in Zanesville for only 3 years and they are still friends. What a gift that is.

Mary Wood was there doing childcare for my grandgirls. When I sought them out she was standing and telling the kids to throw water balloons at her and dodging them. She is so great with kids. And she has been my friend for over 15 years - my Baptist Minister friend - who is now a Disciple of Christ. And at Camp that I love.

And I went because I knew that they were honoring Martha and Ted. And it turns out all the past directors as well. I got to know Martha Everhart when we served together at Advance Conference. She stopped coming to Advance when she was 75 and after serving as counselor with both Chi rho and CYF Conference for years and years. She has touched the lives of so many youth with her spirit and her love. And of course, she has touched the lives of all of us lucky enough to know her and learn from her. Ted Faulkner, similarly, has served for years and years as Assistant Director at Chi Rho as well as Advance. He is also in his 70's now and eternally young. He is always interested in others and has a pixielike like spirit. I love him.

I stayed through the awards ceremonies and got to hear stories from over the years and become inspired again at all that has happened over the years at Camp. And feel so blessed to have had my life shaped by camp. As I look back, I bet I have spent at least 30 weeks of my life at camp - either as counselor or assistant director. That is over half a year. I love the interaction with the campers of course, but the greatest blessing has been working with the saints of the church.

One more thing about Saturday. I walked through the dining hall and ran into Jan Commers who I knew from when I was at "Camp Maumee." She said, "How's your sister?" I told her, but was confused by how she knew. And it turns out that Sam has let camp people know to pray for Ellen. It is a small world and a very caring one.

No comments: