Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Velver Elvis

I had read about this book for a while and now I am half way through it.
It is exactly what I needed to read - especially today.

Here are some quotes

"But the Bible is about today.
Their stories are our stories. They are alive and active and teaching us about our lives in the world today.:

The rabbis spoke about the text being like a gem with 70 faces, and each time you turn the gem, the light refracts differently, gving you a reflection you haven't seen before. And so we turn the text again because we keep seeing things we missed before." (YES!!)

We have to embrace the Bible as the wild, uncensored, passionate accountit is of people experiencing the living God.

Perhaps we have to replace the word "Missionary" with "Tour Guide" because we cannot show people something we haven't seen.

I love this: the thought of the word CHURCH and the word MARKETING in the same sentence makes me sick!!

And this I typed into my first journal entry of 2008:


“I’m learning that very few people actually live from their heart. Very few live connected to their soul. And those few who do the difficult work, who stare their junk in the face, who get counsel, who let Jesus into all the rooms of their soul that no one ever goes in, they make a difference. They are so different. They come from a different place that their voices inevitably get heard above the others. They are pursuing wholeness and shalom and it’s contagious. They inspire me to keep going.”

Amen to that

I experienced some significant healing in the year 2007 and have felt guided over the past few months to strip down my role in the church. The leaders are the leaders and God will guide them. I am called to pastor from my own gifts and life experience.

This book is a good start for what I know will be a year of surprises and inspiration. May I trust my life to God's leading. That is where the joy is!!

No comments: