Thursday, January 3, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love

I am in the middle of reading this wonderful book. And it is certainly speaking to me.

It is divided into three parts - Eat - (in Italy), Pray (in India) and Love (in Indonesia)

Right now I am reading the part in India about prayer. The author, Elizabeth Gilbert, is at an Ashram in India meditating. The process of meditating is the same with the praying that I do.
Or try to do.

what I am identifying with is the fact that our minds betray us and when we are trying to pray everything in the world comes up - resentments, worries, fears.

This paragraph really spoke to me:

" I met an old lady once, almost one hundred years old, and she told me, "There are only 2 questions that human beings have ever fought over, all through history. How much do you love me? And Who's in charge?"
Everything else is somehow manageable. But these two questions of love and control undo us all, trup us up and cause war, grief and suffering. "

And they take up all this space in our heads. But sometimes, when we let go and allow God's voice to speak we will hear God's voice that (for her) says YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW STRONG MY LOVE IS!

Again, may we hear this voice. May I hear this voice.

No comments: