Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sunday Monring

It was so good to be back in church because I had been gone last week.

We have two services and the first one is preached by a young male African American. He has been preaching at our church for a year. I serve as the worship leader and do the invitation to communion. His preaching is very good. And while we have under 20 people in worship it is always (!) a good spiritual experience for everyone who is there.

Today Deric the musican was late and I always start on time. So I started with sharing joys and concerns and heard so many testimonials to the power of this little service that we do. It really has touched our lives. And I just feel blessed by it. The problem, of course, is that it is still - after a year - so small. And our finances in the church are shaky. There is a long story to the way this has come to be....but the bottom line is that it is worship, real authentic worship when we come together. And I believe that this is what God wants to us. And I truly believe it is going to grow. That is something I just trust and expect to happen. I have never been in a situation that was like this before....but I live in faith.

Our second service is much more tradtional. We tried something very different for us. A friend told me her church did this once and then repeated it every Labor Day because it was so inspiring. It was having three people speak about their faith in the work place. We had a lawyer speak, an auditor for the IRS and a teacher. And it WAS inspiring. I heard how God led people to their jobs and gave them power and hope to do their jobs.

When the teacher spoke I was so moved, I found myself in tears. She happens to be the cousin of a movie star and I was struck by the fact that she - in 20 years of teaching - has probably touched more lives in a real way than her cousin with all the mega fame that he has. The Kingdom of God is really upside down.....and that is just a little example.

So, I feel blessed by all of it. But by next week I will be happy to be preaching again.
I miss it.

No comments: