Thursday, September 27, 2007

Break Ins

I finally had contact with the policeman who has been trying to connect with me. The church was broken into 2 months ago. Someone threw a concrete statue from the garden through a window into my office and entered. Something scared them and they did not take anything. However, they tried to. They put the printer in a plasic bag and tried to pull out the computer. When I cam in that morning there was glass all over the place and some blood on the bag and on a chair in my office. They took blood samples and amazingly enough had a hit and the person was in jail and is now going to go to trial for this. I had to write up a statement for the police yesterday. He was disappointed that they didn't take anything because it would only be a misdemeanor and not a felony.

This is our second break in in the past year and a half. The other time the policeman told me that it was probably someone looking for money for drugs.

I got an email from my brother Wayne who may be on TV this morning about the break in at his school. He had mentioned it ot me this summer.....and that it might "blow up" which it has. He told us to google "Hanover cheating" to get the story which I did. A group of 50 - to 60 young people worked together to break into the school to obtain keys to a file cabinet and to get test answers to cheat on tests. And now they have been found out. And there is division in the town. Should the police have been called in? What sort of punishment is appropriate? Will this affect the schools (often ivy league) that these students will go to? This is a school system where 90 % of the students go to college and the suspects are probably all priveleged young people. But they did take something - so they could actually be charged with a felony.

I woke up this morning thinking about these two break ins and how different lives can be. And how easily anyone can convince themselves that breaking in is possible and acceptable. And how differently we judge.

I may actually have to go to court in this case against the guy who broke into the church. Maybe I should talk to him and see him as a person. I wonder where all of this is leading.

Just wondering and ruminating.

No comments: