Sunday, September 30, 2007

Prayer Blankets

We have a ministry where we give prayer blankets to people in our church. We started this about a year and a half ago and have given out at least a dozen blankets.

Someone from the church makes a blanket in whatever way they want - sewing, knitting, crocheting. Sometimes people have brought one that they bought. They just sort of come in as needed in some way that is almost mystical. When we know that there is someone in the congregation who we cant to give a blanket to - we pass it through the church members during Sunday worship. The instructions to the congregation are that people are to pray over the blanket in for whoever the intended person is.

About a month ago, we gave a blanket to Doug who had a stroke. I brought it to him in the hospital and he really was touched by it. Even though he is having trouble "tracking" with his memory he knows that this is important to him. Saturday I got a call from a family member that somehow the blanket - in his moving from room to room in the hospital was gone. And Doug was inconsolable. I had another blanket in my office, so Saturday afternoon I went to the hospital to give that one to him. It did not look like the previous blanket - however, he welcomed it. I prayed over Doug and the blanket and talked about how God loved him and cared for him and the church loved him and this was a symbol of that.

I was concerned because I knew that I wanted to give a blanket to Jo in our church who is now in hospice care. And to my wonder, Merlyn appeared in my office this morning with 2 blankets that had been donated a while ago - that she had embroidered "Karl Road Christian Church Praying for you." Again - as always - the blanket appeared as needed. So, this morning it passed through the congregation and each person prayed over it.

This aftenoon I was so blessed to take the blanket to Jo. And we remarked on the beautiful fall colors and the fact that it was made by Essie, one of our longtime members. Jo is becoming increasingly frail but knew and appreciated the gift. And the whole thing seems perfect in every way. And for me, I am so awed by the moments in my life when I get to pray with people expressing God's love to them that is evidenced in a blanket.

No comments: