Saturday, January 27, 2024

Justice and Mercy

This week John and I have participated in both justice and mercy ministries.  Some years ago, I learned the difference between them and it was a helpful distinction.

Last night we helped to serve a meal at Faith Mission.  We have a team at our church that provides a meal there once a month.  There were people who spent a couple of hours in the kitchen Friday afternoon preparing beef tips in gravy, noodles, green beans and salad to provide dinner (along with with rolls and a cookie) for the people who are staying at the Faith Mission.  We arrived at 4:30 and put on our aprons, hair nets, and gloves to serve the meal from 5 to 6:30.  We served about seventy five -  mostly men.  

I had participated years ago in "Martha's Kitchen" when I lived in Bowling Green.  It was a similar experience except that in a small town you got to know the "regulars" who came to eat.  We would sometimes visit with them and also provide food to go and other needs.  Here, our interaction with the diners was pretty limited.  We said - Hello or Have a cookie and they said thank you and God bless. (and two people adamantly refused the salad and green beans.)  There was a person who did security and it was clear that there were protocols in place.  So, we drove down from our comfortable home in Galena to do this small offering to people who are clearly living hard lives.  This is a picture of "mercy" ministries that churches do.  It is providing needed help in the present moment.

Monday night we attended a BREAD meeting at our church.  BREAD is a justice organization in Columbus comprised of about 50 faith organizations. Every year each church discerns what issues "keep us up at night" and come together to decide on one focus for the year.  This year it is looking at the problem of affordable housing.  We learned about the research committee that will be working on that as well as dates for upcoming meetings - most especially the Nehemiah Action Meeting in June.  That is when we will come together - hopefully 200 from our church -  to join hopefully 4000 people from the community to confront the community leaders that have the power to make something happen.  It was, for me, an inspiring meeting and at the same time I see how slow the process is to make any kind of systemic change.

As I look over this blog, I am aware of how often I struggle with the basic inequities and unfairness of life. I was  been blessed to be born into a middle class home in America with college educated parents who loved me.  Just that gave me a head start on life that many people do not have.  As a follower of Jesus Christ, I know that we are all loved by God and called into relationship with God and each other.  We are responsible to and for each other.  So, then always the question is - what can I do?  What can we do?

As a pastor, I felt like I was living "in the arena" and had  some opportunities to "make a difference."  Now, as a retiree I wonder.  I always wonder.  This serving a meal on a Friday night seems like a pittance and the justice ministry is a slow moving slog.  And yet, I know that you have to start somewhere.  At the very least, it forces me to think beyond my own comfort and problems and consider the needs of people who have not have the advantages that I have had.  I struggle.  I question everything.  And I pray.

Here is a prayer by Maxine Shonk

May the God of JUSTICE bless you.

May you embrace what is true in your life and speak with an undivided heart

for the cause of what is right and good on the earth.

May you know the mind of God in all your decisions and the hand of God in all your undertakings.

May the God of JUSTICE  be with you.

Amen

No comments: