Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Church Life

Today our church has only one worship service.  Afterwards there will be a congregational meeting where we will vote on the budget.

It is interesting now to be attending a church with John who has been throughout his adult life "unchurched."  So I find myself explaining things to him as if he is coming in from a foreign country.  The churches I served and the church I go to have a very transparent process.  We see how much money comes in and and where it goes.  I imagine I will learn today that the majority of the budget goes to salaries. and building maintenance.  It did in the churches that I served. And the money is coming mostly from the voluntary donations of the people who are members.  Sometimes it seems like a miracle that we are able to make the budget. 

Of course, some churches fall short of "making the budget" and then there are staff cuts and ministers who have to work half time.  I am grateful that I never went through any of that.   As I look back, it is easy to remember the stresses of being a pastor - the challenge of evangelism and stewardship and sometimes difficult people.  The weekly sermon preparation that was relentless.

When I attend First Church, however, I am grateful for the blessings of being part of a church.  It really is - or can be - the body of Christ.  One of my favorite hymns is - "The Church's One Foundation."  There is a line in it that can bring me to tears - "mystic sweet communion."  Richard Rohr has written that religion is about communion and I do experience that.  There are times when the music, the message, the people, the place can remind me that I am part of something bigger than me.  We are together in following Jesus and responsible for and to each other.  It is a feeling that comes and goes as we do the "work" of the church - giving, serving, greeting, meeting and caring for each other.  

I know that many people have had negative experiences in churches.  Richard Rohr writes "religion either produces the very best people or the very worst."  I have experienced both.   He also writes:

“A mature Christian sees Christ in everything and everyone else. That is a definition that will never fail you, always demand more of you, and give you no reasons to fight, exclude, or reject anyone.”

I choose to continue to find comfort, growth , and hope through being part of a church. 

No comments: