Thursday, July 6, 2023

New Beginnings

A week ago John and I got married.  Our minister, Tim Ahrens, came out to the house and we stood on "Spearhead Point" and said our vows to each other facing Hoover Reservoir.  It was an intimate and meaningful service for both of us.

Afterward we shared a glass of champagne with our pastor.  That evening we saw all the girls and grandkids and shared our news and champagne again.  A day later Kacey posted the news on facebook and now most everybody has heard.

A friend from college, recently widowed texted me this yesterday: "I so admire you for the courage to remarry.  Well done!"

There is no question that it takes courage to begin again in a new relationship.  Especially at our ages.  Both John and I have had to make accommodations as we have gotten to know each other over the past year and a half.  I won't go into the difference between us, but they are there.  For example,  one of us is quieter by nature and more particular in how things are done.  I won't tell which one.  I have a large family and he has been introduced to everyone through several  road trips and all the family holidays that are always noisy and game filled.  We have been to six weddings in a year and John has had to meet lot and lots of new people through me.

We have found much that we have in common. We also have joined a church together and usually our Sundays are worship, lunch, a movie and reading the New York Times together.  We have found a peace and harmony in our daily life and I am aware of what a great team we make as we face the issues of life together. 

I am happy to love again and have someone who loves me.  I am happy to have someone to care for as well.  I found this Poem by Mary Oliver who expresses how I feel about this rare blessing of "Late in life love." It feels like a gift and we both believe that somehow God has brought us together.   We celebrate the new beginning and do NOT want to take our miracle for granted.


Not Anyone Who Says by Mary Oliver

Not anyone who says, “I’m going to be
careful and smart in matters of love,”
who says, “I’m going to choose slowly,”
but only those lovers who didn’t choose at all
but were, as it were, chosen
by something invisible and powerful and uncontrollable
and beautiful and possibly even
unsuitable —
only those know what I’m talking about
in this talking about love.


No comments: