Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Perspective

During Advent I hope to write more in this blog and reflect on the scriptures.  The daily lectionary for today has Psalm 90 which speaks to me this morning.

It begins with these words

 Lord, you have been our dwelling place[a]
    in all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
    or ever you had formed the earth and the world,
    from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

 They speak to me of the immense enormity and mystery of God.  God who was and is and always will be.  . Can I ever comprehend God?  The eminent, transcendent God?  The creator of heaven and earth and me?

I more often speak of and experience the "imminent God" - the God within.  The God who loves me as if I were the only one, the God who - I believe - cares about every hair on my head and gives me daily bread and guides me in the living of my life.  

There is contained in this Psalm the notion of time in God's realm and our finite lives.

  For a thousand years in your sight
    are like yesterday when it is past,
    or like a watch in the night.

 The days of our life are seventy years,
    or perhaps eighty, if we are strong;
even then their span[d] is only toil and trouble;
    they are soon gone, and we fly away.

It ends with these words:

Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
    and prosper for us the work of our hands—
    O prosper the work of our hands!

The commentators tell us that this was written during the Babylonian exile when the people were "strangers living in a strange land" - sent their by God because of their disobedience.   I am never sure what to do with that characterization of a punishing God but I do resonate with "strangers living in a strange land."

It is for many people the Christmas season.  It is that for me but also Advent.  A time of spiritual preparation for the coming of Christ into the world again.  What that preparation involves is times of reflection, prayer, worship - centering on this mysterious God who loves the world and us so much.  And entering into all the different aspects of what Advent is.

I have been blessed to live over 70 years and that certainly gives me perspective on the flurry of activity and commerce that pervades our lives in December. Three years ago, as Chuck was dying,  the Christmas tree ceased being just a decoration with family ornaments on it - but a sign to me about the promise of Jesus - that is God with us.  That is we are never alone in our pain.  I trusted that then and I trust it now.

So, this Advent I will ponder the mysteries of the universe and this creating eternal source of life and I will be grateful for the gift of the years I have been given.  AND continue to ask God to prosper the work of my hands - that is my ability to love, give, and serve in that counterculture that is the life of the follower of Jesus.




No comments: