Monday, December 21, 2020

We will sing again

 I just finished doing the "pray as you go" app and the text was from Song of Solomon.  It contained these words:

The voice of my beloved,   look he comes, leaping across the mountains, bounding across the hills

my beloved is like a gazelle or a young stag

look,  there he stands behind the wall, gazing in at the window, looking through the lattice,

my beloved speaks and says to me

arise my love, my fair one and come away

for now the winter is past, the rain has come and gone, the flowers appear in the earth

the time of singing has come

There is more, but these are the words that hold me, that speak to my soul.

And I know that I have had a beloved who loved me on earth, whose love gave me security and safety.  and I really do trust that God loves me like that.

I also  trust that the time of singing will come again and realize how much I miss it - singing with others.  The memories spill out:

 - sitting the pew at First Presbyterian Church in West Chester with my sister, brothers and mother while dad was in the choir.  We all sang in parts - me trying to match my mother's alto 

- Christmas caroling as a teenager with my boyfriend and coming back to church with hot chocolate and Christmas cookies

 - singing "The Prodigal Son" at Camp Christian finding myself in tears as the dinging hall  filled with sound

- leading worship in church on Easter or Christmas Eve and hearing voices raised in praise together. as only happens in a packed sanctuaary

- singing karaoke in the Church fellowship hall for my 60th birthday

- singing in my living room two years ago following Chuck's celebration of life with Wayne and Gail leading us.

How much I love singing with others!  Singing my heart out, singing in harmony, singing through tears. 

And today I know that we WILL sing again.  For now we sing at Church with masks on and the sound is muffled.

But someday - in 2021 - we will sing again.

No comments: