Thursday, December 3, 2020

Meditative Video

Last week Pastor and John and I put together 9 videos for the season of Advent.  Nine! I look back in wonder at what we accomplished so quickly.  

A couple of weeks ago I was listening to a podcast about Christmas in the church in 2020 and realized that most people will not be worshiping in the church this season.  I thought it would be a gift to provide  a way to worship at home.  John and I talked about putting together two videos a week - one would be interactive for a family or friends to do together.  It involved lighting the Advent candle, listening to the Christmas story of the week, having conversation about the story, and suggesting a a "reach out" activity for the week.  The other one would be "meditative" and essentially a lectio divina as we hear the text several times and listen for God's word to us.

I wrote up the scripts which he edited and he ordered candles and arranged for a day of filming the videos.  By last Sunday we had 100 bags with candles and scripts for families in the church and every week we release two videos.

This morning I thought I would experience the meditative video - not critiquing it but just participating in the experience that is offered.  I found that it was very meaningful to me.  What I learn over and over again is that if we spend a little time with God - God will speak.  In the words of James Finley - "Sincerity goes a long way with God."

So, I heard the story of the annunciation three times. I have led Advent retreats for at least 25 years and this scripture is often central to our time together.  AND no matter how many times I read it - it continues to inform my life and my faith.  Here is the text:


26 In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, 27 to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And he came to her and said, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.”[b] 29 But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. 30 The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. 33 He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” 34 Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I am a virgin?”[c] 35 The angel said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born[d] will be holy; he will be called Son of God. 36 And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren. 37 For nothing will be impossible with God.” 38 Then Mary said, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her.


Three phrases speak to me today::

The Lord is with you

  Elizabeth in her old age conceived a child

Nothing will be impossible with God

 These words remind me that in the midst of the isolation of this pandemic and my  continued grief during this season - the Lord IS with me.  And I trust that God's spirit is comforting, guiding and healing me.

I now, in my old age,  identify with Elizabeth in this story - who is surprised to find herself with child in her old age.  And it is a promise that God is not done with any of us - and that we can continue to "give birth."  God's spirit is a spirit of creativity and newness .

And as I  live through this endless pandemic and the challenging political scene and my own struggles with living alone, my faith believes that "Nothing will be impossible."  I pray, I work, I trust that promise.Julian of Norwich said:

All shall be well

All shall be well

and all manner of things shall be well.

As I reflect back on the last few weeks I believe that Pastor John and I "gave birth" to these videos that for some people will help them to worship and experience God's presence and "locution" to them.

 I continue to live in grace and gratitude. 

(you can access the videos on the Gender Road Christian Church facebook page or Youtube account )




No comments: