Friday, November 6, 2020

Locutions

James Finley in the course I am taking on Teresa of Avila spoke about the locutions of God.  It is the word that we see, we hear, the feeling that comes over us.  As he spoke about it, I realize how important locutions are for me - in guiding and strengthening me.

One of the most important "words" spoken are The Word - that is scripture.  On Thursdays at 3 oclock I lead a zoom group which I have now called the "Spiritual Growth Group."  We originally were a book study but when that was finished we now just speak about our own journeys with God , share the locutions we have received, and engage in lectio divina.  Which is one of the most important ways in which we can hear God's word.

Yesterday we spent time with Psalm 70 which is called a prayer for deliverance from enemies.


Be pleased, O God, to deliver me.
    O Lord, make haste to help me!


Let those be put to shame and confusion
    who seek my life.
Let those be turned back and brought to dishonor
    who desire to hurt me.


Let those who say, “Aha, Aha!”
    turn back because of their shame.

Let all who seek you
    rejoice and be glad in you.
Let those who love your salvation
    say evermore, “God is great!”


But I am poor and needy;
    hasten to me, O God!


You are my help and my deliverer;
    O Lord, do not delay!

 

We read it through five times and concentrated on different parts of the Psalm.  I never know exactly what I am doing in leading this but keep learning to trust God throughout our time together.  

And I found myself pondering the word "deliver."  There are some things we cannot do alone.  we cannot deliver a baby by ourselves.  We cannot save ourselves from ourselves.  My enemy can be my own tendencies , my own ego, my own  self centeredness, my own self righteousness.  And the hope I have is found in God alone.  To DELIVER.  

Someone talked about how we have parts of ourselves that is the enemy - the parts that shame and dishonor us.

And then there is the word that reminds us that we are part of an "ALL" that is seeking God and finding God's compassion and greatness.  

I keep learning that God loves each of us as we are - YES!  And that that is the necessary beginning of the journey of faith.  The journey continues as we open ourselves to God's locutions which will over time begin that work of transforming us.  We are on a journey - like a caterpillar to a butterfly with tattered wings.  

My hope for myself and for everyone is that we can listen, look, feel, know God is speaking words that can comfort, inspire, help and deliver us. 

No comments: