Friday, June 19, 2020

Inside and Outside

It is a beautiful Friday morning and I feel blessed to be alive.  One of the newest parts of my life has become daily walks and it was on a walk at Innis Woods that I had a realization of the great blessing of making it to 71.  And being able to still walk and work and play.. 

My walking has a new dimension to it.  My granddaughter Alyse downloaded the "Strava" app onto my cell phone which records my walks and tells me (and my followers - which are my family members) the distance and speed I have walked.  It gives me a goal and also affirmations from my kids about the walking that I am doing.  Once again, I find the gift of connection through technology which really does help me.  It is so easy just to sit!  One other gift was "Air Pods"   from Kim Veatch.  This enables me to listen to podcasts and books when I am walking.  The whole thing helps me - inside and out! 

One of the podcasts I am listening to is "Turning to the Mystics" by James Finley who is a contemplative writer. .  This season the podcast will be devoted to Teresa of Avila.  I have purchased the book "The Interior Castle" as translated by Mirabai Starr and started reading that as well.  I am finding that starting the day with Teresa really gives me a sense of peace.  Here are quotes from the first chapter that I wrote in my journal today:

The important thing is not to think much, but to love much.
And so to do whatever best awakens us to love.

The soul who has dissolved in God reemerges with a vibrant wakefulness

AND must return to the everyday world to be of service to other souls on the path.

As I begin this Friday, I am aware of the way my soul responds to these words and to spending time walking with God.  It is always an inside and an outside job.  God is here and wanting me to rest in God's love - I just need to practice my spiritual practices: writing, reading, praying, walking, being. And then - as Teresa would say. - All will be well.

Here is a wonderful blessing by john O Donahue

For Solitude
May your recognize in your life the presence,
power and light of your soul.

May you realize that you are never alone,
that your soul in its brightness and belonging
connects you intimately with the rhythm of the 
  universe.

May you have respect for your individuality and  
      difference

May you  realize that the shape of your soul is 
   unique,that you have a special destiny here
.that behind the facade of your life
there is something beautiful and eternal happening

May you learn to see your self
with the same delight,pride and expectation
with which God sees you in every moment.



No comments: