Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Joining Church

After a long period of wandering in the wilderness, I have finally made a commitment to a new church home.  Audrey and I joined First Community Church on Sunday.

During my first year of retirement, I preached twenty times in churches around the state, so it did not seem that I needed to find a church.  Last year, I often worshipped with Marnie and spent the summer filling in for Dawn Remster who was on sabbatical.  That experience reminded me of the blessing of being part of a healthy church community - I experienced the deep friendships, the fun of working together in projects, the mutual seeking through study and the gift of gathering in worship. So, when September came, I began to realize that I needed a church.  Not to pastor - but just for me and my spiritual journey. 

What surprised me on Sunday was how emotional I felt shortly after the very short ceremony of making our promises to the congregation. I started counting and realized that this was the tenth church I have joined - and it may the last. Here is the list:
First Presbyterian West Chester Pennsylvania
First Presbyterian Scranton Pennsylvania
First Presbyterian Madison New Jersey
First Presbyterian Cranford New Jersey
Lebanon United Methodist Church Lebanon, Ohio
Northwest Christian Church in Columbus
First Christian Church - Zanesville
First Christian Church - Bowling Green
Karl Road Christian Church Columbus

This list reflects the years of moving in my twenties and thirties.  I was baptized and raised a Presbyterian and always sought that church first.  It was when we moved to Columbus in the 80's that we tried many churches and eventually ended up at Northwest which was my entry into becoming a Disciple of Christ.  And for the last 30 years - I have joined churches that I also pastored. 

So....Sunday was the first church for me since 1985 where I am joining as a member and not a part of the staff.  I know a handful of people so far and wonder how I am going to fit in here.  There was something in the worship experience for me that has been the touchstone of the decision to make a home here.  As churches move into becoming more accessible and contemporary, I find my soul is touched with what is almost classical and traditional  in worship.  When the choir sings, it harkens back to my years at First Presbyterian Church and their excellent choir that my parents were part of. And some how the words "grandeur of God" come to me as I write this.  I am moved here in ways that are unexplainable but have drawn me to make a commitment.

What I am realizing is that I have longed to truly worship and that is what I am able to do in this place.  And I know that worship is not an end in itself - but will be the engine leading me into expressions of my faith - in study, spiritual guidance, service, celebration.  Sunday  - as I joined my 10th and maybe last church - was a new beginning.  I will celebrate and sing to the Lord a new song.


No comments: