Saturday, April 14, 2018

A Prayer for the World

As the bombing began last night in Syria in response to the poisoning of the Syrian people,
as the news continues to be full of the corruption of politicians
as we worry about failing schools in our community, the opiod crisis, and mental health issues I do what I can.  I pray and I clean my basement. 

I have been sorting through papers from years of preaching, from the coursework of Wellstreams, from the various retreats and projects that have filled my desk and file cabinets.  I found this prayer by Rabbi Harold Kushner and share it today.

A Prayer for the World

Let the rain come and wash away
the ancient grudges, the bitter hatreds
   help and nurtured over generations,
Let the rain wash away the memory 
   of the hurt and neglect.
Then let the sun come out and
   fill the sky with rainbows.
Let the warmth of the sun heal us
   wherever we are broken.
Let it burn away the fog so that
   we can see each other clearly.
So that we can see beyond labels,
   beyond accents, gender or skin color.
Let the warmth and brightness
   of the sun melt our selfishness.
So that we can share the joys and 
   fell the sorrows of our neighbors.
And let the light of the sun
   be so strong that we will see all
people as our neighbors.
   Let the earth nourished by rain,
bring forth flowers
   to surround us with beauty
And let the mountains teach our hearts
   to reach upwards to heaven.

Amen

No comments: