Monday, December 4, 2017

Patience

Patience is necessary during Advent - the season of waiting.  But actually patience is necessary during every day - every moment - of our lives.  Patience is defined as: "the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset."

I think of Audrey's stories about her students that are so impatient because they don't understand the math she is trying to teach them and at the same time can't tolerate the work necessary to learn.  It  makes me realize how much patience is part of our growing maturity.  I believe the truth is this: The more we  grow up - the more patient we become.  What is amazing is that now - at the age of 68 - I continue to learn that there is more "growing up" to do.  It never ends.

I write all of this in response to the retreat that I lead on Saturday at Camp Christian.  Our topic was: "My Soul Waits" and over the course of the day I was able to see how God is continuing to reveal to me the ways in which my impatience gets in the way of the peace that God has for me. And so it continues - this journey of change and growth.  At least I hope so.

One of the offerings of the retreat  was the opportunity to just walk in nature and be with God.  I provided several Bible verses that women could take  on their way out the door to repeat and reflect on during their walk.  I grabbed this one:from James.

Therefore be patient,brethren, until the coming of the Lord.  The farmer waits for the precise produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains.  You too be patient, strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near.

As I walked on that December morning I kept repeating to myself - "you too be patient."  At one point I just stopped and gazed at this tree in its beauty and barrenness.



This tree that stands patiently by the lake ready for another winter and then a spring with buds and leaves and new life.  It spoke to me of the waiting life - through the dark and cold times and trusting that the seasons change and new life comes in new forms.

And so, I begin Advent with a new awareness of my need to slow down and open myself to God's presence and word to me today.  Patiently waiting for whatever this day and this time will bring.

Here is an Advent reading that I began the retreat with.  We are waiting!



We Are Waiting (a reading for Advent)
This is the season of anticipation,
Of expecting, of hoping, of wanting.
This is the time of expecting the arrival of something--or someone.
We are waiting.
This is the time of living in darkness, in the hues of unknowing.
Of being quiet, of reflecting on a year almost past.
Waiting for a new beginning, for a closing or an end.
This is the time for digesting the lessons of days gone past, anticipating the future for which
We are waiting.
Waiting for a world which can know justice
Waiting for a lasting peace.
Waiting for the bridge to span the divides which separate us.
Waiting for a promise or a hope.
For all of this
We are waiting.






No comments: