Thursday, August 10, 2017

Summer Reflections

I am taking a breath today as two of my biggest summer responsibilities are now over.  I was a faculty member at Advance Conference last week leading daily Bible study.  And since Memorial Day, I have preached at First Christian Church in Zanesville.

One of the biggest takeaways from Camp was the realization of how few of the young people are involved in the life of a congregation.  Many are in a time of questioning about religion and even the existence of God and their lifestyle does not at all include interest in church. Some of have grown up in the church and had a bad experience and others really have not had much real contact. In some ways, this is nothing new for this age group - but as the whole culture moves away from institutionalized religion, it does not bode well for our local churches.

My experience at Zanesville has been really rich for me. I look back on the past summer which included: 10 weeks of sermons written and preached (3 times each!), 5 Sunday School classes, 40 trips back and forth to Zanesville, and many conversations, home and hospital visits.  I feel nothing but gratitude for the blessing of Sunday worship, singing hymns I love (I get to pick them!). exploring scripture weekly and experiencing the mystery of weekly communion.

It has been a wonder to be with people who I knew 30 years ago and often felt a closeness from our shared history all those years ago.  I got to hear stories of their lives - their struggles and successes and see pictures of children, grandchildren, great grandchildren.  What a gift!

It has also been a blessing to get to know the staff of this church - all people who care about the congregation and their pastor.  Dawn is truly the hardest working minister I know and everyone wanted her to have a restful and renewing sabbatical. Kim, their youth minister, had been in my youth group when I was there and it was heartwarming to see her loving and caring spirit with the young people of the church as well as her creativity and organizational skills. 

Yesterday was my last day and it was a perfect ending.  On Wednesdays the church offers a worship service that is mostly seniors who find it easier to come to church in the afternoon than mornings. It is a small and faithful group.  We had a beautiful service and afterward they gave me a journal.  I visited a few people including one woman who has been in hospice all summer.  She has been intermittently conscious when I visited but yesterday was aware enough to pray with me the Lord's Prayer.  I visited one man in his 90's who shared lots of family stories as well as our mutual antipathy toward Donald Trump (note: I did not start that conversation - he did!).  I ended my time visiting someone in a rehab center living with diabetes and neuropathy who just wants to go home.  And we prayed for that.

I leave this time having had the opportunity to give and receive love and it was what I needed.  I have no desire to stay longer but I am just grateful for the richness and the fullness of it all.  The "All" is not just ministry but the blessing of church life and being connected to the body of Christ.  There is something about struggling with God's word together, sharing our lives together and participating in the rituals together that gives meaning and strength to our individual journeys.

I wish I knew how to express this to others - because church life is unlike any other organization that I know. There is no question that we are challenged by the "together" part of being in a church - but in my experience the blessings far outweigh the discomfort.

And now I take a breath and wait.  Knowing that there will be another invitation to go and serve.  At least I hope so.

End with a Blessing by Maxine Shonk

May God bless you when you are reluctant to respond to what is asked of you.
May God grant you a REFLECTIVE heart as you honor your hesitation.
May you be given a heart that is both alert to your inner needs and courageous in serving the needs of those around you.
May you be blessed with a discerning heart as you respond in love to God's invitation.
May the God of REFLECTION make you holy.

No comments: