Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Hidden Things Revealed

When I was at the Camp Christian Saturday we reflected in a small group about our experience of "gazing" by the lake.  Amanda said something to the effect of "hidden things announcing themselves." She referenced how a fish just comes quickly to the surface and then disappears.

That statement resonates with me. As I look at this picture, I think how long you can see a lake or pond as somewhat still and then suddenly an awareness that there is much going on underneath.

I write this as I continue to ponder the events of Charlottesville this weekend.  The racism and violence that simmers below the surface  shattered our illusions of peace and equality in our country. (I recognize the naivete and privilege of that statement, but there it is. It is easy to live in a bubble and assume that everyone thinks like I do.) I believe our president - whose history includes being the promulgator of "birtherism" - is complicit  and woefully inadequate to guide us as he continues to be ignorant, combative and divisive.  All of which can lead me down a path of feeling angry, helpless, useless and very concerned about what is coming next.

My daily meditations include reading from A Spring Within Us by Richard Rohr.  Just that phrase is helpful. There are more hidden things to be announced than evil and violence.  Within this world and within me - there is the compassionate, courageous, gracious spirit of the living God which gives us wisdom to discern what is true and strength to stand up to the powers and the principalities. I celebrate the clergy that gathered in Charlottesville and pray for guidance in my own journey.

It seems to me that there are easy pitfalls here - either ignoring what is happening (amazed to find that my personal trainer on Monday had NO IDEA about any of this) or becoming almost obsessed with it.  Somehow I seek the third way - which right now is pretty unclear but I pray for God's guidance that will be shown to me in some form or fashion.

For now I look to the words of Reinhold Niebuhr:

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

No comments: